Heartless Driver Kills Grandmother, Injures Toddlers

Photo - Heartless Driver Kills Grandmother, Injures Toddlers

A 63-year-old grandmother, Elizabeth Toby-Lade, was killed by a reckless driver, her family has yet to come to terms with her death.

The deceased, who sold water and drinks in her house in Fadeyi Street, Ikeja, was with her grandson and the child of another resident when a Sports Utility Vehicle, driven by one Samson Orofin, zoomed into the compound and crushed them.

Elizabeth’s 77-year-old husband, Joseph Toby-Lade told Punch Metro that he had yet to get over the shock because he witnessed the incident.

Joseph explained that the gate to the compound was left open and Orofin initially drove into the compound in order to change direction. He added that instead of engaging the gear in the reverse, the driver did not do so.

The husbant stated, “My wife sold drinks in our compound and her shop is located at the entrance. She was looking after our grandson and the son of one of our neighbours while I was at the balcony. There was heavy traffic on the street and because the main gate was open, the driver of a Toyota Land cruiser with plate number EPE960AC, drove in to a make a U-turn.

“Probably the driver put the gear in drive instead of reverse because immediately he accelerated, he rammed into my wife and she hit her head against the wall. The vehicle continued to move and it hit my grandson, Evans Toby-Lade, and a resident’s son, Usman, before ramming into one of the pillars of my house.

“I quickly rushed downstairs and we took them to Holy Trinity Hospital which is opposite my house. The kids were treated for head injuries, but the doctors told me that my wife was in critical condition, so she was referred to Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja.”

Joseph, who was an engineer with Daily Times, Nigeria Printing and Minting Company, told Punch Metro that he took his wife to LASUTH immediately.

He said, “My wife was not breathing properly when we got to LASUTH. I asked the nurses to put her on oxygen but they said they did not have oxygen. I told them I was willing to buy and they said Holy Trinity Hospital should have provided the oxygen.

“Around 6pm, on May 21, 2013, my wife died. A copy of the death certificate made available to our correspondent stated that Elizabeth died of “head injury and cardio pulmonary arrest.”

The deceased’s husband said he could not imagine life without his wife, adding that everything happened so suddenly.

He said sorrowfully, “We were married for 47 years and we had six children and over 10 grand children. We were happy and we understood each other. We were always together because I have a business centre just beside her shop.

“My wife loved children and my grandchildren have been asking me where grandma is. It is just too sad.”

The deceased is going to be buried in Lagos on July 12.

The correspondent learnt that the suspect had been arrested by the Ikeja Police Division.

The police report stated that the matter had been transferred to the traffic section of the police station for further investigation.

Ngozi Braide, the spokesperson for the state police command, confirmed the incident to the correspondent on the telephone.

“The suspect has been charged to court for manslaughter,” Ngozi Braide said.

%d bloggers like this: